Thursday, September 23, 2010

Guest blogger!

We have a guest blogger this week! It's all very exciting! And she comes all the way from Cleveland! She shares with us a traumatic tale...



Danielle recently invited me to share a poor decision that I've made. One coping mechanism that I have developed over the years in order to allow myself to go on living in spite of all the poor/embarrassing/mortifying decisions that I've made is to simply block certain things out. I've gotten quite efficient at blocking out bad memories. It was really hard to come up with something to write about because I've forgotten events prior to last Saturday. In fact I've become so efficient at shutting my brain off that I'm afraid the more vital brain functions are getting affected. Here is an example:

I am very strict about preventing shower curtain mildew. I try to enforce a stringent policy of always leaving the shower curtain closed and nice and spread out and airy so that it cannot collect mildew. Enter the main obstacle to my attainment of Shower Curtain Utopia: the Fiance, a creature whose main goal in the morning is to get to work on time which apparently prevents him from closing the shower curtain properly. On one particular weekend morning, (we are residing in Pittsburgh during this time), I slither into our bathroom like the sleepy slug that I am, ready to embark upon my morning routine. There I go, brushing my teeth, putting my toothbrush away neatly, my eyes are almost fully open at this time, here I am making sure I have a towel ready for after my shower, off I go to turn the shower on, I turn toward the bathtub---WHAT? the SHOWER CURTAIN IS OPEN? I am angry. I check the curtain for signs of mildew. Nothing there yet, I am momentarily placated. My shower ensues, it is relaxing. Lather, rinse, repeat. I am looking forward to the day ahead. I turn the water off. But...something is amiss. I thought I turned the water off, but then why do I hear water running?

My eyes quickly dart toward the sink, which is steadily overflowing. The faucet merrily runs like a babbling brook, onto the bathroom floor and into the carpeted hallway outside the bathroom. I step out of the bathtub onto the little red bath rug, even though it is completely underwater and it makes no difference whether had I stepped onto a bath rug or into a swimming pool.

Fiance and I spent the good part of the morning cleaning up. We exhausted all the absorbent materials in our home (1/2 roll of paper towels, a mop head) and set up a fan to dry the wet hallway (it took 4 days to dry). Even though I've lost my credibility as the guru of bathroom cleanliness, I still compulsively pull the shower curtain close whenever I get the chance.



---Q

2 comments:

  1. If now one is going to update this blog, may I have a guest spot?

    I'm completely serious. This isn't a criticism on the two authors. In most circles, being too busy to blog is a sign of success in life. However, I'd like an opportunity to write, and I don't have a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it. You're right, Rachael and I are beginning to be somewhat successful. Possibly due to good decision making.

    ReplyDelete