Saturday, May 14, 2011

Online Dating

I don't feel I actually need to write anything more. I have decided to try it, as it is really just one more adventure most people have that I have not and I do hate being left out. But I can't see this ending well.

Addendum:

I lied, I'm going to write more. I have thus far been opposed to online dating for several reasons, but my family ganged up on me and my grandmother, convinced my destiny lies in internet dating, handed me a pile of cash to sign up for JDate. I think they're not all that pleased with the long line of Aryans I have gotten involved with.
My biggest issue with online dating is that it seems like such an ineffective way of finding a good match. It's like making a shopping list and then going out and instead of finding the man/woman of your dreams, it's finding the man/woman of your list. I feel like I've probably dated a large number of people though few of them for very long, but they've all been quite varied. I certainly can't fit them into a type, which I feel is what I is happening when I am shopping for men on a website--looking for ones who fit the type I think I want. But the one relationship/love I've had thus far in my life didn't have ANY of the qualities on my Everything I Want In a Boyfriend list and probably had half the ones on my list of Everything I Never Ever Want in a Boyfriend. We shared nearly no common interests, didn't like the same food or the same places or the same people or the same activities. If I had just seen a profile on the internet, we definitely would never have even met, and I would have missed out.
On the other hand awhile ago I dated a guy who had almost everything on the Everything I Want list. Theoretically, with so many qualities on my little list, the perfect man. An internet profile on this guy would have sold me. But in person I felt pretty much nothing for him, even though I wanted to.
So how can this system possibly work? Especially when what you think you want and what you actually want are so rarely in sync. Or maybe that's just with me.

2 comments:

  1. Hehe, please update me on the outcome. BTW, re: your kneecap,I actually don't know!! I know I know, $160,000 education not worth anything. i will look some stuff up and let you know. in the mean time, elevate the extremity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As with any platform, I suppose that internet dating simply offers some cues. I have always been very suspicious of it because of the lack of diverse communication involved, and because of the downright assumption that the participants are explicitly looking for an affair / romantic relationship. I strongly continue to believe in conversation and in encountering people in environments, where there is no underlying romantic assumption. Internet is may be a fine way to encounter and befriend interesting people (I've encountered various myself) but these dating sites and programs remove some of the wondrous freedom and thrill. The almost magical feeling of uncertainty is irreplaceable.

    ReplyDelete