Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Year of Firsts: Paper Cranes

For those of you who are unaware, there is a Japanese legend that tells us if we fold 1,000 origami cranes, we will be granted one wish. Or good luck. Something good. Experience, however, tells us that this story is bullshit.

You can read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_origami_cranes
The story has long been at the back of my mind. For years and years, I have always thought I should go ahead and fold the thousand cranes.  However, such a task requires several traits that are alien to my nature. Focus, for one. Patience, for another. Also follow through, commitment, fine motor skills, tranquility, and mostly, patience. Also patience. And more patience.
So when I was making my lists of Firsts to accomplish that are supposed to push my boundaries and teach me new skills, I thought this would be an excellent exercise.

But with a twist.

When I finish folding all 1,000 cranes, I am going to start giving them away to people I know and leaving them in places I go that are interesting or mean something.  Because really what I wish for is to know 1,000 interesting and meaningful people and places in my lifetime, and when all of the cranes are gone, I will know that I have succeeded. 
My dearest Kate was supportive enough of the endeavor to send me a block of 1,000 tiny colored origami papers last month and I have been working my way through them.  I probably have somewhere around 150 done at this point.  Hard to say. Instead of counting, I'm just going until all the paper is gone.  This also means there can be no mistakes.  A lot is at stake!

My goal is to be done the day of my birthday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment